Bareback Mount For The Rest Of Us – Jump & Cast

I will be getting back to part three of my reader question series this week, but first I would like to add a second Fredi Bareback Video Clip.

I refer to this style of mounting as “Beginner” but it’s not beginner rider, but beginner bareback rider. It is the way I mount bareback, it is much easier than the Native American Style mount. Until you can mount that way this is our alternative!

To clarify what Fredi is doing in the Video:

1. Place your left hand on the reins and horse’s mane. Grab some of that neck fat too, it helps and makes it easier on the horse.
  2. Place your right hand with fingers spread apart on the lowest part of the horse’s back.
  3. Jump straight up and a little forward pushing with your fingers to lift. (Practice this jump a few times before you attempt to get on the horse’s back if necessary.) Aim high, to the top you your legs so your thighs are resting on the horse, not your stomach. You will notice when most people mount bareback they aim too low and then struggle to get their leg over the horse. They jump only to their stomach.
  4. Cast your hips and legs away from the horse then swing your right leg over the horse to sit on his back. You can see how Fredi casts really well in the video.

I would like to add, you can do this from a mounting block until you build your strength and coordination, you don’t need to do it from the ground right away. I usually stand my horse at the bottom of a hill with me on the upside to make it easier for myself.

Next week, I will try and post a clip on how to spot someone to mount this way. It’s a great way to learn when you have a spotter!

Deanna

Related Posts:
Bareback Blooper

About Deanna Castro

Deanna Castro has been training horses and riders professionally for over 18 years. She trains riders in Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, Showmanship and Trail Riding. Deanna is married to Native American Horse Trainer Fredi Castro and she is the author of "Six Weeks to a Better Horse".
This entry was posted in Horse Training Tips, Horseback Riding Lesson and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Bareback Mount For The Rest Of Us – Jump & Cast

1. Theresa Komor says:

I vaguely remember mounting that way when I was a kid – and would end up on my stomach. Landing on your thighs makes sense!

OK. Now, tell Fredi to think 40 years into the future, then demonstrate!

(It’s nice to see real horsemen in action!)

2. EquineSpirit says:

Great vid!! :)

3. Deanna says:

Hi Theresa,

He actually teaches riders that are of all different ages and riding levels to mount this way. He spots them under the arms, and uses a mounting block. I am going to try and get a video of that next week.

I love to watch him ride, he does all kinds of fun stuff He amazes me with his riding skills. I’m telling you, I live vicariously through him these days!

I think it would be cool to use a mini trampoline to get on the horse. I don’t know how safe it would be because I haven’t tried it, but that would be fun to try with a well broke horse.

Deanna

4. jackie says:

If only it was as easy as it looks …

I think I need stronger arms for it to work that well.

5. Deanna says:

Hi Jackie,

It does take some strength, but it’s more the timing. That is why it’s good to practice just the jump part for a while before you actually complete the mount.

10 or 20 reps a day, do a few sets and it will help increase your strength and help with the timing. When combining the strength of your legs (jumping) with the strength of your arms, (pushing up) it will really help.

Deanna

6. Theresa Komor says:

We’re all half disabled, so alternative ways to mount always help us. I have two bad knees, my friend’s husband has no left knee left (he’s resisting joint replacement) and he’s had 7 back surgeries. Years ago, my friend had a horse go up and over on her, and that broke two L vertebra. 2 out of 3 of us have hit the half century mark, and all of us have the added weight to go along with it all. :-( So, forget the trampoline and bring on the forklift! Oh, and my horse is 16.2hh. I usually climb on the tailgate of my pickup – mounting blocks aren’t high enough. LOL that should be a challenge for Fredi, right?

7. Deanna says:

Those injuries should be a challenge for Fredi!

I think the tailgate is a great way to mount your 16.2 Odin.

I will be challenged to mount when I get back to riding. I’ve lost most of my muscle tone from being on bed rest for so long. Plus, I’ve put on quite a bit of weight… I think I will need the fork lift. Maybe I can start out on a Pony lol.

Deanna