What To Pack For A Trail Ride

The weather is beautiful, and if you aren’t out already it’s time to relax and do some trail riding.

Trail riding is such a nice break for horse and rider from a rigorous training schedule.

I like to pack a cantle bag with a few small items before I go on a trail ride. The trail rides I take are usually one to three hours long, and this is what I pack:

Mobile Phone
Knife
Roping Rein (Just in case a rein breaks!)
Lip Balm
Water
Vet Wrap
Chicago Screws
A Mini flashlight when I do a later trail ride
And what I don’t but should pack – A whistle for the times I ride alone.

Here is a picture of my knife and my flashlight. The flashlight I just clip on the rings of my saddle. It is there if I need it. The knife has a clip I so I clip it onto the top on the inside of my boot.

What do you like to pack for a trail ride?

Deanna

About Deanna Castro

Deanna Castro has been training horses and riders professionally for over 18 years. She trains riders in Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, Showmanship and Trail Riding. Deanna is married to Native American Horse Trainer Fredi Castro and she is the author of "Six Weeks to a Better Horse".
This entry was posted in Horseback Riding Lesson and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to What To Pack For A Trail Ride

1. Rising Rainbow says:

Geez, Deanna, you forgot the food! I couldn’t possibly trail ride without a snack and water…..and treats for my horse. What can I say something about trail riding makes me hungry.

2. Anonymous says:

and don’t forget an extra diaper, maybe a pacifier.
    Congratulations Deanna and Fredi! Looks like there’s a new little cowboy to hang around The Windy Brush!

3. EquineSpirit says:

Uh oh…your baby “ticker” says it’s “time to go”…is it?!? :) How’re ya doing? Any baby news yet?

4. Deanna says:

You are absolutely correct Rising Rainbow! LOL We can’t forget the food. When I was a kid and I would trail ride with my Aunt, she would think I was crazy because I used to like to bring a bag of pretzels with me. There is just something fun about eating on the trail.

Deanna

5. Deanna says:

Sorry it took me so long to moderate and respond to the comments! The baby came a day early, and this is my first chance to sit and catch my breath. I am so loving every second of it!!!

I will try and update a new post today between diaper changes and feedings with a picture and some details. Wait until you guys see how cute this baby is!

Deanna

6. EquineSpirit says:

OMGosh!! Congratulations!! ((HUGS!!)) YAY!! Can’t wait to see pics! :)