I do love to sweat in the summer, it makes me feel so healthy and strong. But, I don’t want to dehydrate or overheat too much.
Here are some tips I use to stay cool during these hot summer months:
- Pull your hair back. When your hair is off of the back of your neck you will stay much more comfortable.
- Wet your hair, then pull it back in a bun. Your hair will stay wet, then as you get hot, take out the bun and put your hair into a ponytail. The wet hair feels great on your hot head and neck.
- Drink plenty of water. Once you are thirsty, you are already technically dehydrated so keep drinking water.
- Have Gatorade on hand. I don’t like to drink Gatorade too often because of all the sugar, but it does help once you get the dreaded dehydration headache.
- Stay away from drinks with caffeine. They will dehydrate you instead of hydrate you.
- Ride early in the morning, or later in the evening.
- Wear breathable moisture wicking fabric such as coolmax.
- Work on perfecting your pivots, side passing, and backing. Things that require more brains than brawn. It will keep both you and the horse cool.
- I love those little hand fans that spray water, I can usually find them at the dollar store. It feels great to spray it into your face after a hot ride. It also works to desensitize your horse and it’s safe because the fan blades are made from Styrofoam.
Enjoy that beautiful summer weather and try to stay cool!