Anyone know where to find a helmet for a 17 month old?

The boy loves horses.

The boy loves horses.

Our wish has been granted. Our Son Cristino loves to ride.  He loves it so much that even though I think he’s too young to be on a horse (Fredi disagrees) we have to let him ride.  He rides both English and Western, but prefers Western for some reason.  When the horse stops he uses his legs to bump her to get her going, which really makes us laugh.  He can even hold the reins and stay off the horse’s mouth.  The horse he is riding in this picture is his all time favorite horse, Dundee.  She belongs to two of my students, but fortunately for Cristino, they let him ride her.

It’s really cute too, because when Fredi and I are teaching we keep Cristino with us.  If a horse breaks when it isn’t supposed to, immediately Cristino says “Uh oh!” We tell the riders, if you hear Cristino say “Uh oh” you better hurry up and use your legs to keep the horse going!  Fredi keeps his hand on the back of the baby’s jacket or shirt when he’s riding, but I still am not crazy of the idea of him riding so  young.  I like to start kids at about five years of age.  Since the baby was about a year old, when he saw one of us jump on the horse he would get offended that he wasn’t riding and say “Hey!”   And give us a look like, “why not me?”  Now the deal is after we are done lessons or riding, he gets his turn.  The only problem is he screams when we take him off of the horse.  I am happy though because it is a dream come true for us to have a child that loves horses.

I really need to find a helmet that would fit his tiny head, that is my number one concern. A small is way too big.  I would especially like a Western Hat helmet for him.  Does anyone know where I can find one small enough?

About Deanna Castro

Deanna Castro has been training horses and riders professionally for over 18 years. She trains riders in Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, Showmanship and Trail Riding. Deanna is married to Native American Horse Trainer Fredi Castro and she is the author of "Six Weeks to a Better Horse".
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Anyone know where to find a helmet for a 17 month old?

1. Mikey says:

What I had to do was buy a toddler bike helmet until mine grew into a small riding helmet. I looked carefully though, and the todder helmets DO cover the back of the head real well. Check into them and see if that will work. In my most recent post, there’s a ton of pics of my child as a 2 and 3 yr old riding in that bike helmet.

I just could never find an actual horse helmet for toddlers. Note: someone contact the helmet companies and let them know we need toddler helmets!

2. Sabrina says:

I did a little searching and came up with this cute little helmet…and it comes in blue too!!

Couldn’t find any western helmets in his size…sorry!

Anyway…congratulations on having a child that loves to ride! Two of my three boys are terrified of riding! My middle son doesn’t mind it but it’s not his favorite thing to do…LOL!

3. dcastro says:

OH MY GOSH THAT IS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! Sorry for yelling, but wow thank you so much Sabrina.

It’s really hard to have a child that loves to ride. I was so surprised. It’s like the kids that grow up with horses usually have no interest. I’m the only kid in my family who ever took an interest, and there are lots of us!

Mikey, I like how it goes low in the back, but I want a visor too. I saw someone fall off her horse on her face and the visor was a big help.

4. Sabrina says:

You’re so very welcome!! If ya get that helmet…don’t forget to take pictures. :)

5. dcastro says:

Fredi is against the blue helmet because it has a pony with a pink mane and tail and hearts. He says it’s too girly and I have to keep looking :(

He is so anti pink for a boy it cracks me up because it is my favorite color. I’m going to try and see if I can get away with it with a helmet cover.

6. Sabrina says:

Ahhhh…phooey!! Wonder what he’d think about Diago wearing a pink blanket then…LOL! Just tell him that real men wear pink!! ROFL! That’s what my stepdad always said anyway…and he’s a 6+ foot tall 300+ pound hefty guy…and he wore pink shirts and ties to work quite frequently with his business suit…LOL!

7. dcastro says:

Awww, how cute I wish my Dad would have worn pink! How coll Diago has a pink blanket. I love it. I have a pink longe whip…

The funniest thing is Cristino loves pink. We went to Toys R Us, and Fredi got him a brown rocking horse down from the shelf to ride, Cristino put it back and pulled down the pink one! He only wanted to ride the pink horse. LOL Fredi blames me because I got him a Pink Jeep walker when he was a baby. I try and tell him it’s not my fault, pink is just a great color.

8. Sabrina says:

ROFL!! The boy has good taste!! Can’t fault him for liking a great color…LOL!