Horse Names, Are They Really Important?

Horse names, are they really important?  I believe they are.

I am all for changing a horse’s name.  We have a horse who’s registered name is October’s Revelation.  When he first came to the barn with his previous owner she called him “Orion” and sometimes “O-ie”.  I didn’t like the name Orion because it was just too aggressive.  Orion is the hunter, and this horse wasn’t completely aggressive, but he did buck.  Horse names are not always easy to come up with, but they are extremely important.

Next, against my better judgement he fell into the hands of another girl who was so afraid of him.  They were a terrible match.  It made his bucking problem worse, she would never listen to me and it was a nightmare.  She renamed him “Waldo”.  That name made him sound so dumb.  He acted dumb too.. I

We now own him and have changed his name to “O-ie” as his original owner called him.  We retrained him and he is one of the most wonderful horses in the barn.  He is so light and supple and perfect for beginners.  It really does matter what you name a horse, don’t be afraid to change your horse‘s name to fit him.  Some horse names are worse than others, but there is nothing like the perfect name to fit your perfect horse.

Horse names ARE important.

If you would like to play with different names for your horse try the handy  Horse Name Generator.

About Deanna Castro

Deanna Castro has been training horses and riders professionally for over 18 years. She trains riders in Horsemanship, Western Pleasure, Showmanship and Trail Riding. Deanna is married to Native American Horse Trainer Fredi Castro and she is the author of "Six Weeks to a Better Horse".
This entry was posted in Horse Training Tips and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Horse Names, Are They Really Important?

1. Sabrina says:

Great entry!! And my goodness…O-ie is GORGEOUS!!!

2. dcastro says:

Thanks Sabrina! He is a beautiful horse. He is such a pussy cat now lol.

3. Deanna,
    The girl who feared the horse had poor control over him. You are obviously a stronger owner who was able to train him.

4. Savanna says:

If one of the previous owners was a “girl” maybe you should not be so clinical over her since you have had more years of experience than she. I always do love to read your blog but the wording in this seemed to make me shudder. I am pleased to hear that O-ie has made improvements! I l look forward to your next blog. God bless.

5. dcastro says:

Savanna,
    The girl in question is an adult.

I am not clinical of a persons inexperience, however when I tell someone not to do something because it is dangerous and they don’t listen and repeatedly endanger myself, the horse, themselves and others I have to draw the line.

Sometimes with horses it is life or death. Horses are huge animals and carry a risk and it’s important to tell it like it is.

Thanks!

Deanna

6. Jaime says:

I think you just meant “girl” as in female, right? I do that too.

7. Ashlie says:

I loved this blog post. I hadn’t really considered your point of view until now. It has made me think of our horses names.

8. dcastro says:

Yes exactly! Even if a person is way past middled age she is still a girl to me. I like when people use that name, it’s fun ;) .